Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Teger Stone

Today I stopped by the job site to visit with Teger Stone. I was able to get a small sample showing the metal lath being applied along with a section of the scratch coat. I will try to get more detailed steps as I visit more jobs. Basic steps for stone application could be broken down to a couple of steps. 1) What is the structure am I appling the stone on? This will determine if a scratch coat is needed or not. Also, what type of surface preperation do I need to do? 2) Moisture barrier. (Tyvek, felt, other approved materials) I would also include any flashing for openings. You have to think like water, be the water, feel the water, with a little wind and gravity. 3) Vapor barrier. I would check with the stone supplier and ask if you could use a vapor barrier. (Make sure this does not void your stone warrenty) A vapor barrier would consist of a material that would creat a 1/4" void between the lath and the moisture barrier. An example would be MortAirVent. http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/ Ask for Bill, he's a great guy, tell him Mike sent you.

No comments: