Thursday, May 24, 2007

How Not to Apply Drystack Stone



Here is great example of what not to do with a drystack profile. I do my best to not disclose the building. However, I am doing my best to show what the job should look like when completed. There are areas of stone that are of alike sizes grouped together. The size of the stone should be blended. The left corner is stacked. Header joints are aligned up the wall. Then there is the "WAVE", this drives me nuts. I feel like I am looking at a flash back of "Earthquake" the movie, at the end of the show. Not to mention the lack of not being level. The only thing that looks good is the distribution of color. The color of the stone is a nice match to the trim colors and the rest of the building. I am sure if the Architect could see the final product he/she would boil. When using exterior products it signifies who the designer or person is. It is a statement or identification. Why spend the time, money and effort on such a project to fall apart at the finish line? Ever work of art crafted by Rembrandt was conceived in his mind, ever line, shade, color, edge, curve and texture. If Rembrandt knew how ever masterpiece was supposed to look like in his head and decided to describe his image to someone and let them put on canvas, we would not know Rembrandt today. I am not suggesting that the Architect should be at every job, I am suggesting someone needs to have an eye for stone and hold the installer accountable. Here again check the installer, ask for references, call and check the references. Ask the installer for his brag book, pictures of completed jobs. If he is not bragging about his owne jobs, must not be much to brag about. "Don't expect what you don't inspect."

No comments: