Monday, January 12, 2009

Brick and Stone Selections


I am back, the Brick and Stone Guy. It has been a while since my last post, But I am at it again. What I would like to spend time on with this post is brick and stone selection. Here is a prime example showing several mediums, as they say in the art world. You have Hardie siding, stone and brick. Also, the stone has what is called "spotters" in the mix. A mountain ledge profile stone with a fieldstone profile mixed in. I would guess about 90% was mountain ledge and 10% was spotters. When you mix stone with brick, PLEASE take time to get a good feel for the contrast between the two. Definitely when you add another major medium, Hardie Board, please get opinions. Only if you are a professional, and don't try this at home. To start the process of selection start with the dominate material. Example, what is the material that will have the strongest punch? The stone is definitely the dominate material on this home. I would choose the stone to start with. The second choice would be the brick and then the siding. How to choose the stone profile is a choice inside of the selection. Typically the size of the area would influence the profile. Keep in mind the style of home if that is a factor. If it was a Tuscany influence the stone should reflect the Tuscany look. Typically if the area is small a ledge profile should be used, if the area is very large, like a whole wall, a field stone profile could be used. Be careful not to use different stone profiles close in proximity of each other. If you do, try to match the colors, or have one stone in the front and the other in the back of the home. Enough about stone, I could talk all night. The second choice was the brick. So far I have only seen a limited amount of bricks that compliment stone. I will try to show good matches such as this picture along with bad ones. It's kinda like that bad boss, they show you how not to do it. I will do my next post showing a bad combination. I have given a category for these brick as "Earth Tone Range." A way to describe this type of brick could be described as the number of colors in the range, also the colors are dragged into each other. Typically, a red brick is not going to be a good selection. The Earth Tones will be in the greys, browns, and cream ranges. Also, the profile of the brick is tudored, usually a straight edge does not have character. With the two materials together ask yourself these questions, what contrast do I want between the stone and brick? Where is my eye being pulled towards? What is a focal point? Do I want my stone to blend in with the brick and vice verse? My last professional advise is, do not pick a brick just because you like it, and don't chose a stone just because you like it then expect the two will work together. Make sure it will be a great marriage between the two.

No comments: